Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Me and eBay

Once in awhile I sell something on eBay. I only do it if I think I can get at least $50.00. Otherwise, it's not worth the effort. I spend too much time working on a listing. The description has to be just right. The photos have to be perfect. I'd die if I ever got a negative feedback.
So, I listed a few postcards yesterday. I'm drowning in postcards, and I don't even collect them. Most aren't worth anything - at least, they're not worth putting them up for auction. Maybe someone would come over and take them all away for $10.00. It seems like old postcards with cars on them are worth saving. Popular tourist attractions aren't worth anything.

Since I listed on eBay yesterday, I thought I'd do another one today. I have to be in the right mood. This time, a glass paperweight advertising the Worcester Corset Company. It's cute. In fine print along the bottom is says Sept. 5, '82 - Barnes & Abrams Co., Syracuse, NY. Nice - I figured it was made in 1982, and showed a vintage ad for the WCC. I was already to click 'List this item', but decided to Google Barnes & Abrams. It appears the paperweight was made in 1882, and it's quite collectible. So, I thought I'd put a reserve price of $150.00 on it, but that costs another $2.00 in listing fees. Still, if I could get $150.00, minus eBay's cut and fees, that'd still be pretty good. I took another look at it. It's small - 2.5" by 4.5". It has a nice, smooth feel to it. It's VERY cute now. I'll keep it. I'll just have to figure out something else to get rid of. Thank heavens for Google. I could have described it as something from 1982, and sold it for $7.50. I'll keep a note with it so the girls won't toss it away when I'm gone. They can put it on eBay.

No comments: