Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Yahoo Wins

I tried a few start pages - Yahoo, Netvibes, Pageflakes, Protopage. Yahoo wins for several reasons: The weather module is great in the 'compact' view. I can have mulitple cities with graphics only for the main city. A major plus. It's just a nice list of cities with the highs and lows. The calendar is plain, and neat.
Also - I can preview Gmail, and open it up right there. Google made a mess of Gmail in the new iGoogle design. My bookmarks from iGoogle imported without a hitch. They got rid of the annoying advertisement that used to be there. They made the Personal Assistant an option. I got rid of it. The tabs are on top. I splurged, and made three pages - all tabbed.

I'm still looking for a clock. There doesn't appear to be one. I really miss the Dreamcatcher clock I have on iGoogle, so I placed it here, over on the right. I just about died when I read some of the comments about it over in Google gadgets. A few people thought it looked really neat, but they had no idea how it showed the time. I'm really getting old.
Yahoo's themes could be better, but they're ok. What's really nice is - everything works. Everything opens, and expands & minimizes, with just one click. The new iGoogle requires lots of clicking.
Netvibes is also great, but the weather module only allows one location.

No comments: