Thursday, October 16, 2008

WTF Google? Fix - 'Move' to Ireland

See that left sidebar on the screenshot? It's nuts.
Thank heavens for clever people out there. I read this fix on the Google Help Group.
From Internet Explorer, click on Tools, select Internet Options, type in this address for your homepage http://www.google.ie/ or, replace the .com with .ie
From Firefox, click on Tools, select Option, then open Main - type in the same address.
That should bring up the old format - you'll just be living in Ireland for awhile.

I sent this feedback to Google - the feedback form is at -

http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/request.py?contact_type=feedback

The new iGoogle format is terrible. Even worse is that there was no advance notice, or option to use the old format. Even Facebook and Yahoo gave lots of advance notice regarding changes. Sitemeter rolled out a new format, and they got so many complaints, they went back to the old one. Did you honestly think everyone would just love your new setup?
What angers me the most is not knowing it was coming - for an hour, I thought something was wrong with my computer.

Specifically,
- The left side bar takes up way too much space.
- I don't want to have to open a 'menu' to expand / minimize a 'gadget'. The + and - signs worked just fine.
- The new date and clock is ugly. What was wrong with the original?
- The Weather in my cities is larger, and runs down just about the entire right side column.
- The mail preview shows way too much.

I liked iGoogle because if I wanted it to be clean and neat, I could have it that way. Now, we have to have it Google's way.
Did you do this because Google's stock is tanking, and you're all fretting? I'd change to Yahoo, but they've ruined their homepages, too. Please don't make me go back to AOL.

For now, I'll be living in Ireland.

No comments: